Health care products from Abbott Laboratories are discovered, developed, manufactured, and sold worldwide. The company is organized into four segments: Pharmaceutical Products, Diagnostic Products, Nutritional Products, and Medical Devices. Abbott is currently the fourth largest medical device company in the world.
In terms of revenue and profit, the Medical Devices arm is also the company’s largest business segment, accounting for more than one third of overall sales, and these have been strengthened by the company’s acquisitions of St. Jude Medical and Alere.
Among the products offered by the company’s Medical Devices segment are tools designed for the treatment of cardiovascular conditions such as heart disease, stroke, vessel closure and carotid artery disease. This includes specific equipment for procedures such as:
– Cardiac rhythm management (pacemakers, catheters, and cardiac resynchronisation devices)
– Electrophysiology (ablation technology, diagnostic catheters and mapping systems)
– Heart failure (mechanical circulatory support systems, left ventricular assist devices and pulmonary pressure monitors)
– Structural heart (structural intervention occluders, surgical valve solutions, and transcatheter valve solutions)
– Peripheral Intervention (carotid stent systems, embolic protection systems, peripheral stent systems, peripheral guide wires and vascular plugs)
– Coronary Intervention (coronary dilation catheters, intravascular imaging systems and coronary guide wires)
Abbott Laboratories manufactures the following cardiovascular devices:
- Amplatzer Piccolo
- Confirm Rx
- Gallant ICD
Abbott also provide a variety of diabetic care devices for flash glucose monitoring and blood glucose monitoring, designed for both hospital and personal use, as well as manufacturing neuromodulation devices for chronic pain treatment and movement disorders.
HeartMate 3™ LVAD
The HeartMate 3™ LVAD system features a pump, a driveline, an external battery pack (allowing for up to 17 hours of battery life) and a pocket-sized controller, as well as a mobile power unit (MPU). Full MagLev™ Flow Technology ensures gentle blood handling to minimize complications for patients and reduces the risk of hemocompatibility-related adverse effects.
Abbott ID NOW™ Covid-19 Detection Test System
The Abbott ID NOW COVID-19 tests for the detection of Covid-19 patients using a molecular point-of-care system. By using this method, one can identify the nucleic acid of the SARS-CoV-2 virus from a Covid-19 patient, using the ID NOW molecular platform, which was introduced in 2014 for the detection of influenza A and B, strep A and respiratory syncytial viruses (RSV) in the United States.
August 2, 2021